- NOTICE: City of Gary Brownfields Multipurpose Grant Survey for 2024 - October 27, 2023
- City of Gary Brownfields Multipurpose Grant Community Involvement 2024 (PPTX MS PowerPoint)
- City of Gary Brownfields Multipurpose Grant Community Involvement 2024 (PDF Adobe Acrobat)
Climate Resilience Survey: Your input is needed so Gary can better prepared and rebound from climate and extreme weather impacts. Please respond to the survey by 9/30/23!
Mission and Vision
Our mission is to protect and improve the health of the environment making it a valuable asset for Gary utilizing environmental services and program activities to advance the City’s efforts.
Our vision is to pursue a safe, healthy and well protected environment fostered through civic engagement to help advance a sustainable society and economy.
The objective of the Environmental Affairs Department is to achieve and maintain a cleaner, healthier environment for the citizens of Gary through:
- Inspection & monitoring of businesses and sites that impact environmental quality;
- Providing environmental information and response and concerns regarding environmental issues;
- Environmental Assessment and Remediation Planning and Implementation;
- Issuing local air operating permits to businesses operating in the City of Gary by City Ordinance;
- Act as the agent for Indiana Department of Environmental Management Air Program in the City of Gary;
- Working with all City Departments and Agencies to develop sound environmental practices in city projects and operations;
- Monitoring and Maintaining Solid Waste Sites, including the Closed Gary Sanitary Landfill and J-Pit;
- Working cooperatively with and assisting State and Federal Agencies in environmental management and enforcement programs.